We are heading down the stretch run of the fall 2012 term. As we enter the semester’s final days, here is some information that a tutor may find useful:
Student-athletes who are in their “off-season” have NO athletic obligations during finals week, nor do they have any during the week prior to finals. Weight lifting, conditioning sessions, practice, etc., must all be VOLUNTARY during this time period. We tell you this in case a student-athlete tries to evade a meeting with you because of “practice.”
Student-athletes who are “in-season” are allowed to participate in athletic activities, like practice and competition. If a student-athlete is still competing, they are allowed to still have the same amount of athletic obligations while completing their semester.
Remember that the end to a term usually brings large projects, final papers, etc. It is permissible to provide minimal assistance in these ventures, such as proofreading papers. However, to proof a paper, do not allow a student-athlete to send it to you via email. Sit down with him/her and go over it together.
Study Hall Hours During Finals Week:
- Saturday December 15 – 9 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, December 16 – 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Monday, December 17 – 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 18 – 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Closed at 5pm Wednesday and Thursday; closed Friday, December 21
- As we approach the end of the term, please encourage your students to plan appointments through the end of the semester with you.
- Please do not engage with Student-Athletes in individual “contracts for pay” for services rendered outside of the scope of your Athletics Department employment. That includes students in panic at the 11th hour.
- We know that a student’s lack of planning is not your emergency. We have your back on this; if you need help setting boundaries with a student, please let me know.
Post submitted by Mindy Sclaro